Navigate to Enterprise settings to see the desired Enterprise’s or Workspace’s settings. Be careful to make sure you are in Enterprise settings if adding metadata to an Enterprise, and in Workspace settings if adding metadata to a workspace.
Click the “Metadata“ tab, which is the fourth tab from the left.
Ensure the subtab “Metadata Attributes” is selected.
To make a new category:
Click “Add a Category”.
Enter the Category’s name and click “Add”.
Note that nothing on the screen has changed. To check that this category was created, click “Add an attribute” and use the first dropdown menu to ensure that your new category is in the list of possible categories. Click “Cancel” or the “x” in the top of the popup screen to exit. You are not done.
To ensure that this category is saved, you must click “Save Changes and Display”. Note that adding a category can also be done while adding an attribute, as detailed in the next step.
To add an attribute:
Click “Add an attribute”.
Using the first dropdown menu, select a category in which to add the attribute. You may also create a new category by selecting “Add new”, typing in the new category’s name, and clicking “Save”.
Next, type in the name of the attribute you’d like to create. Note that the “Upload Preview” on the right of the screen has updated to reflect the attribute name. This preview indicates what a user would see when uploading an asset.
Select the control type. You may click on each control type to see how it works in the “Upload Preview” section. A brief description of each control type is provided below.
- Text field: A field for short-length text. Useful for names of people, places, phone numbers, and other short-length text.
- Text area: A field for longer-length text. Useful for descriptions, sentences, and other longer text.
- Drop down (single selection): A field allowing the choice of one option from many.
- Drop down (multiple selection): A field allowing the choice of multiple options from many.
- Drop down (two-level): A field allowing the choice of one option from many, followed by a second choice of one option from many that is conditional on the first.
- Checkbox: functionally identical to drop down (multiple selection). Preferred method when there are fewer total options.
- Radio button: functionally identical to drop down (single selection). Preferred method when there are fewer total options.
- Date field: A field allowing the selection of a date.
Check or leave unchecked the “Required?” checkbox. If checked, all assets uploaded in this Enterprise/Workspace will have to have this metadata attribute filled out by the uploader. If unchecked, it will be optional. Note that this checkbox will not be present for the Text Field or Text Area control types.
Click “Save”. Note that the attribute has popped up under its corresponding category. You are not done.
To ensure that this attribute and/or category are saved, you must click “Save Changes and Display”.
To edit or delete an attribute:
Locate the attribute you’d like to delete in the list under “Your Metadata Attributes”.
Click “Edit/Delete” to open the editing window.
To edit the attribute:
Make the desired changes here and click “Save” in the bottom right corner to save the changes.
To delete the attribute:
Click “Delete” in the bottom right corner. A confirmation window should pop up. Click “Yes” to confirm deletion.
To edit or delete a category:
Locate the category you’d like to delete in the list under “Your Metadata Attributes”.
Click the edit icon to the right of the category name. The name will become editable.
To edit the category name:
Click the name and type or delete as desired.
To delete the category:
Note that deleting a category deletes all attributes in that category. Ensure that none of these attributes are necessary before deleting the category.
Click “Delete”. A confirmation window will pop up.
Click “Yes” to confirm deletion.